Below are six LinkedIn tips that I have learned and leveraged in my social efforts to improve my personal brand.
1. Proactively manage your activity level such as adding connections, likes of content, shares of content and publishing of original content. LinkedIn provides reporting on your activity level with a Premium membership. These attributes weigh heavily on your social ranking.
2. Advanced search on your profile page is a great way to refine outreach to relevant people in your network. Go to your Profile, click the blue 'View profile as' tab, scroll down to your Connections, hit the magnifying/search icon on the top right, and enter a term such as marketing. The results set will form and advanced search will appear to the left under Connections with the number of results. Select advanced search to see the filters populate in the left navigation. Refine your search with the attributes that are appropriate.
3. On the main navigation on your LinkedIn page, select Interests, Pulse and then Discover to find People, Influencers, Channels and Publishers that may be of interest to you. Select based on your interests to assist in shaping your Top Updates feed. Under the Interests tab, you will also find navigation to Companies, Groups and Slideshare to manage your interests.
4. Under Connections, click on the gear in the upper right to see additional integration options for emails, contacts and calendars. There are also Applications and Contacts File Imports that can be leveraged.
5. Whether viewing existing contacts or potential connections, leverage the LinkedIn Relationship tab to improve your networking. The Relationship tab is located just below a contact's profile picture next to a star. Click on the star to surface Notes, Reminder, How you met and Tag fields. Leverage these fields to build a LinkedIn CRM facility and assist in managing your activity. I find this particularly useful rather than trying to port my activity into a secondary CRM. Custom integrations of similar CRM data can be performed, but are expensive.
6. On your homepage, leverage the dropdown menu to the left of the search bar to refine your inquiry. When searching, you can tailor your search to People, Jobs, Companies, Groups, Universities, Posts or Inbox to refine your results set. One way I use this tab to discover recent social media posts to stay current.